If you already have a My Volunteer Account, please sign in below. If not, you can sign up for a free account.
Why we want you
Bring your listening and communication skills to support people living with cancer to feel less isolated and lonely. By joining us you’ll be doing something amazing for people, so they can continue to feel connected to the world outside and helping them find their best way through. Together, we can be right there for people with cancer.
What will you be doing?
• Providing telephone support to alleviate loneliness and social isolation for people living with cancer
• Adopting a non-judgemental and supportive approach to understand the needs and concerns of people living with cancer
• Speaking to 1-3 people living with cancer every week for up to 12 calls
• Completing post call ‘records of activity’ reports and using all required systems
• Joining group catch up calls every 4-6 weeks to get key updates and/or share good practice
• Signposting to additional support if required and raising any further concerns with the Macmillan team
The skills you need
• Good listener and clear communicator
• Patient, flexible and reliable
• Ability to respect others’ differences and choices
• Ability to demonstrate empathy and understanding while maintaining boundaries
• Ability to recognise when to ask for support
• Ability to work independently with guidance and support
• Understand the need to maintain confidentiality
• Good IT skills in order to access required systems and resources
• Ability to commit to 4 hours of on-line training
What’s in it for you?
• Meet new people as part of a friendly team that makes a difference
• Use and develop your communication and people skills
• Have a rewarding experience making a difference to people living with cancer
• Receive an induction, relevant training, the support you need to carry out your role and agreed out-of-pocket expenses (reimbursed within our guidelines)
In your own home
Please fill out this form to register your interest in the opportunity Macmillan Telephone Buddy with Macmillan Cancer Support
Your message will be sent to the organisation that manages volunteering in the East Renfrewshire region:
Thank you for registering your interest in Macmillan Telephone Buddy with Macmillan Cancer Support.
Macmillan Cancer Support has been sent your details and message, they will respond to you at the email address you provided.
Something has gone wrong, please let us know about this issue at email@example.com quoting reference #VO90868.